Recent Changes to Federal Sentencing for Commonwealth Child Sex Offences
Webinar - Wednesday 4 August 2021
The New South Wales Bar Association's Criminal Law Committee will host a CPD webinar on the “Recent Changes to Federal Sentencing for Commonwealth Child Sex Offences” on Wednesday, 4 August at 5.15 pm.
Presenters Mark de Crespigny and Krista Breckweg from the Office of the Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions will join chair, Kate Morgan SC to discuss sentencing and address topics, including:
- New mandatory minimum head sentences
- Limited exclusions and discounts and when they may apply to a mandatory minimum period
- Approach the sentencing exercise where a mandatory minimum period applies – R v Bahar
- Presumption regarding cumulation and questions of totality
- Presumption regarding actual imprisonment save for ‘exceptional circumstances
- Mandatory factors for consideration
- Changes to s 16A of the Crimes Act 1914 (Cth) (with a particular focus upon s16A(2AAA)).
Participants are encouraged to submit questions at registration or by email to email@example.com before the seminar.
For further information, or to register for this event, please click here.
If you no longer wish to receive In Brief, please notify the Bar Association's Certification Officer