Appointments to the Federal Courts
The Federal Attorney-General Senator the Hon George Brandis QC has announced a number of appointments to the Federal Courts as follows.
Federal Court of Australia
- Mr Thomas Thawley SC will commence in the Sydney Registry on 14 February 2018;
- The Hon Justice Katrina Banks-Smith and Mr Craig Colvin SC will commence in the Perth Registry on 12 and 13 February 2018, respectively.
Family Court of Australia
- The Chief Judge of the Federal Circuit Court of Australia, the Hon William Alstergren, has also been appointed Deputy Chief Justice of the Family Court. He will continue to hold a dual commission as Chief Judge of the Federal Circuit Court;
- Judge Michael Baumann, who is currently a Judge of the Federal Circuit Court, has been promoted to the position of Judge at the Family Court, based in Brisbane.
Federal Circuit Court of Australia
- Ms Julia Baird SC will commence in the Sydney Registry on 20 February 2018;
- Dr Christopher Kendall will commence in the Perth Registry on 29 January 2018;
- Ms Caroline Kirton QC will commence in the Melbourne Registry on 29 January 2018;
- Mr Gregory Egan will commence in the Brisbane Registry on 18 December 2017.
The Attorney-General has also announced the appointment of Ms Philippa Lynch PSM as the Chief Executive and Principal Registrar of the High Court of Australia, who will commence a five year term on 10 February 2018.
If you no longer wish to receive In Brief, please notify the Bar Association's