Local Court: Arrangements for the National Day of Mourning Public Holiday
The Chief Magistrate's Office has released the following memorandum today.
As you are aware, the Prime Minister has declared a public holiday on Thursday 22 September 2022. As a result, the Local Court has made the following arrangements in relation to that day:
Public Holiday Bail Court
A Bail Court will operate physically at the Children’s Court at Parramatta, as it does on weekends, and will be staffed by Acting Magistrates.
- Special fixtures already commenced will continue but will not sit on 22 September;
- Special fixtures with their first day on 22 September will commence on 23 September;
- Part heard matters will be adjourned for mention in either the week of 26 September or 4 October;
- 5.1 matters will be adjourned for mention in either the week of 26 September or 4 October;
- Custody matters already listed in 4.2 and 4.3 will be listed on 23 September;
- DPP matters listed on 22 September will be relisted on 20 September;
- All matters for mention will be relisted in either the week of 26 September or 4 October.
All other Local Courts
- Part heard matters listed for finalisation on 22 September 2022 should be listed for mention only in the week commencing 26 September 2022 in order to fix a further part heard hearing date;
- Parties in matters listed on 22 September for hearing should also be listed for mention only in the week of 26 September in order to fix a hearing date;
- All matters listed for mention or sentence should be relisted for the week beginning 26.09.22 and 4 October 2022. Priority should be given to matters where the defendant is in custody.
If you no longer wish to receive In Brief, please notify the Bar Association's Certification Officer