Terms of reference
- Represent the NSW Bar Association and its members on legal policy and practice issues relating to First Nations and First Nations people including:
- reviewing policies and procedures for the Bar Council and NSW Bar Association to ensure First Nations and First Nations peoples’ perspective are considered where relevant;
- advocating for the rights of First Nations and First Nations people on systemic issues of policy such as Indigenous incarceration, discrimination and the impact of domestic violence on First Nations communities.
- Encourage and support First Nations people to consider a career in the law and at the Bar;
- Support First Nations people who are members of the profession;
- Organise educational seminars for members regarding issues relating to First Nations affairs;
- Develop and monitor the implementation of the Association’s Reconciliation Action Plan; and
- Provide advice to Bar Council on matters relating to First Nations affairs as required.
Tony McAvoy SC (Chair)
Chris Ronalds AO SC
Janet Manuell SC
Eric Wilson SC
David Kell SC
Simeon Beckett SC
Madison Thompson (Bar Association Staff Member)